The History of Faversham Creek by Arthur Percival

Oare Creek above the bridge 1905

Postcard showing ships and boats in Oare Creek above the bridge in 1905 – for more postcards of the area belonging postcard collector Gary Vaughan, click here 

The Faversham Creek Trust has been publishing instalments of an excellent updated short history of Faversham Creek over the past few weeks – see it here:

The History of Faversham Creek by Arthur Percival
 – the background to Percival’s history and the streams that feed the Creek
The History of Faversham Creek by Arthur Percival – Part 2
 – the mystery of the sea level, membership of the Cinque Ports in the 10th century, and the market founded in the 11th century
The History of Faversham Creek by Arthur Percival – Part 3 – the story of Stonebridge Pond
The History of Faversham Creek by Arthur Percival – Part 4 – businessman Henry Hatch provides money to build a sluice in 1558 to flush silt from the Creek, and the town flourishes
The History of Faversham Creek by Arthur Percival – Part 5 – more about the growth of trade along the Creek
The History of Faversham Creek by Arthur Percival – Part 6 – the port Faversham responds to competition from the railway by straightening its entrance
The History of Faversham Creek by Arthur Percival – Part 7 – the gunpowder works and the swinging Sluice Bridge
The History of Faversham Creek by Arthur Percival – Part 8 – decay of trade, and how the swing bridge came to stop swinging

PS – In the comments below Patrick has drawn our attention to a fabulous YouTube video about the history of Faversham Creek. It includes some splendid footage of the famous sideways launch and some authentic voices…

Advertisements

One thought on “The History of Faversham Creek by Arthur Percival”

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.