Colour on the Thames (1935) – a boat study, a film-poem, a picture postcard – and, in 1935, probably something of an experiment too. Photography by Adrian Klein, colour by Gaspar-Color.
The Kentish Sail Association’s delicious 2015 calendar featuring photos of sailing barges and smacks is now on sale from various outlets around Faversham, and from the KSA itself.
The beautiful 2015 calendar is on sale at the Fleur de Lis Centre in Preston Street, at Creek Creative in Abbey Street, The Phoenix Tavern, The Three Mariners, Faversham Chandlery and the Shipwights’ Arms. It’s priced at a very reasonable 10 so brighten up these winter days with a copy.
If you cannot get to Faversham, send a cheque for £12.95 (inc of postage), made out to ‘The Kentish Sail Association’, to Julian Mannering, 13 Abbey Street, Faversham, Kent, ME13 7BE, and he will mail a copy.
Bricks Brickmen & Barges tells the story the brick-making industry of the Faversham, Conyer and Lower Halstow area of North Kent, and of how barges carried the bricks up-river, where they were used to build Victorian London.
It is published by the Westmoreland Trust, which aims to restore the last remaining Kent brick barge, Thames sailing barge Westmoreland, as a training vessel and working exhibit of the age when the brickfields and barges of North Kent ranked alongside Chatham Dockyard as the leading local employer.
In particular the Trust focuses on Westmoreland’s links with Lower Halstow – for her entire working life she was owned and operated by Eastwoods Brickmakers, which had works in the village.
For more information, see the Westmoreland Trust website.